Never ridden before? Don't sweat it. The Harley-Davidson Riding Academy New Rider Course is designed to get you comfortable on a bike and give you the skills you need to ride with confidence. The New Rider Course provides you with expert guidance from Motorcycle Safety Foundation® (MSF) and H-D certified coaches.
In the classroom, you'll get to know the motorcycle you'll be riding and learn the basics of rider safety skills. On the practice range, you'll learn braking and turning, along with maneuvers like controlling skids and surmounting obstacles.
When you're finished you'll get a MSF Basic RiderCourseSM Completion Card. In South Dakota, this card exempts you from having to take the riding portion of your motorcycle license test and you may also score you a discount on motorcycle insurance.
All training is done at J&L Harley-Davidson. We provide each student with a motorcycle for the range portion of the class. All you need to register is a valid automobile driver's license or learner's permit and the ability to ride a bicycle. The course fee is $212, including tax. Payment is required at the time of registration.
Why should you take the J&L Riding Academy New Rider Course? Because we're passionate about our students' riding experience. And because of our dedication to our students, we make sure we go above and beyond.
At J&L, our whole team gets involved in the process to make sure our students are well taken care of, comfortable and prepared. Every staff member lives and breathes the Harley-Davidson riding experience and their excitement is contagious. Besides having a built-in cheering section, the J&L Harley-Davidson Riding Academy New Rider Course goes above and beyond other courses with:
- Smaller class sizes - our classes have a maximum of 6 students. Smaller class size equals more range time, more personalized learning and more 1:1 time with the instructor.
- More class time - our classes give students 20 hours of classroom and range time.
- Personalized contact - each student is contacted prior to the start of the course and invited to the store where they can tour the different departments, get to know the J&L team, ask questions ahead of time, and make sure they have everything required.
- Dealership Ambassador - a J&L team member to act as a contact point before, during and after the course.
- Free Lunch - for classes on Saturday, each student will receive a coupon for a free meal from J&L's Snack Shack.
- A J&L Harley-Davidson Riding Academy New Rider Course t-shirt.
- A goody bag full of free stuff (a $40 value).
- $50 gift certificate from the Department of Public Safety for the purchase of motorcycle safety gear.
Each student must have sturdy, over the ankle footwear, protective eyewear, full-fingered gloves, long-sleeved jacket/shirt, jeans and a DOT approved motorcycle helmet. If you do not have any of the required gear and need to purchase, the knowledgeable staff at J&L is available to assist you.
Upon completion of the Riding Academy New Rider Course, you are eligible to receive your motorcycle endorsement. If you are an existing member of the National Harley Owner's Group (H.O.G.), a $50 rebate is available after completing the course.
Are you a current active, reserve or former military personnel? Are you a current or former Emergency First Responder? Do want to learn how to ride?
Now through September 2016, Harley-Davidson and J&L Harley-Davidson want to say thank you for defending our country and helping those in need by giving YOU the gift to ride FOR FREE through our Harley-Davidson Riding Academy® New Rider Course.
Who is eligible for this special program?
- Current active, reserve and former military personnel
- Current or retired law enforcement officers, firefighters and EMS
To sign up for this offer, stop in or call us and we'll be happy to walk you through the process.